Before knowing how you can use Creatine for Weight Gain you must know what Creatine is, what are its benefits, side effects and other important aspects.
Creatine for Weight Gain
To begin with, Creatine is a chemical that is found in the body which is used for increasing exercise performance and improving muscle mass. It is a nitrogenous acid that helps in supplying energy to particularly muscle cells.In short, Creatine is used as an Energy Source when the body needs it the most.
Because of this property, it is used by athletes to improve athletic performance. I have personally used creatine and will tell you the results below.
So if I had to answer in one word that whether Creatine can be used for weight gain or does creatine make you gain weight or not, I would say Yes, creatine is a great supplement for gaining weight but you should use it only if you workout regularly.
As I said I have personally tried using Creatine Monohydrate and I think the results were too good.
After 2 weeks, I was able to lift 25% more than what I did before. Being a hardgainer myself, lifting 25% more than before was a strong change as lifting more weight would significantly lead to more muscle.
After taking Creatine, I could lift more and I believed that I was able to recover at a better speed than before. Though it caused bloating problems for me, but according to me it could be ignored after seeing its positive results. Hence according to me , Creatine Monohydrate is a better option than many other supplements as you will see results in a very less time and its price is very low as compared to other supplements. I will try to define all the important aspects of creatine below in a short description.
Benefits Of Creatine
- Increases Athletic Performance: As I mentioned, Creatine is very effective after an intense training session thus helping athletes in performance.
- Enhances Recovery: Creatine will reduce the recovery time as it is taken up by the body after an intense session. It was observed that creatine reduces muscle cell damage thus promoting complete recovery after gym. I personally felt that I was recovering better than before just after 2 weeks of creatine supplementing.
- Increases Muscle Volume: After around 3-4 weeks of Creatine supplementation , I could see that my muscles have grown like they have been inflated. Creatine is said to have a property that causes muscle cell to inflate. It is reported that if you start taking creatine , you will gain 4-6 pounds within few weeks. This is how creatine helps gain weight.
- Improves Strength and Stamina: This is the main reason why athletes and bodybuilders use creatine. Within 1-2 weeks of creatine supplementing your stamina and strength will increase. You will be able to lift much more weight than before, will be able to work out for a longer time and you will recover faster than before.
Who Should Take Creatine?
- Anyone who is working out and wishes to increase performance.
- Hardgainers who wish to gain weight.
Who should not take Creatine?
- People with Diabetes or Kidney diseases
- People with heart diseases
- Pregnant Ladies
- People already on some medications.
Things that should be avoided when supplementing with Creatine:
- If you are using creatine for weight gain then it is advised not to consume alcohol as it will bring down the benefits and may cause some side effects.
- Avoid Caffeine as much as possible.
How and When to take Creatine:
It is advised that creatine should be taken in 2 phases:
- Loading Phase: Loading is done for first 4-5 days in which 20g of creatine is to be taken in 4 parts. This is done so as to maintain fully saturated Creatine levels.
Take 5gm of creatine in breakfast, 5gm before workout, 5gm after workout and last 5gm before bed.
- Maintenance Phase: After the loading phase, take 5g of creatine before or after workout every day.
I personally did not follow this routine as I thought it would be harmful to take 20g of creatine a day. Hence I started with 5gm a day and took it every day before gym. I personally felt that I was benefited by taking it 30-45 minutes before my workout.
Creatine can be taken in water or juices. I personally took Creatine in Grape Juice because using a High-Carbohydrate drink leads to insulin spike thus increasing the creatine absorption. My advice is that you should take creatine with Cold water or Grape Juice.
Warning and Precaution
- Do not try to over dose creatine. Once the ATP is full all the excess creatine will be flushed out from the body.
- Drink plenty of water: This is the most important step while supplementing with creatine. As creatine draws water from body to muscle cells , the chances of dehydration increase. Hence drink atleast 4 liters of water to counter this.
- Before taking Creatine, Consult your Doctor. It may not be safe for everyone to take creatine as everybody would react to it differently.
- Creatine may cause stomach pain , diarrhea, muscle cramps or nausea. If any such problem arises, discontinue immediately and consult a doctor.
- Do not consume alcohol or excess caffeine while supplementing with creatine.
Hence I feel that Creatine is a safe supplement that can be taken by anyone who is willing to gain weight, but only if you are going to the gym.
People who are not going to the gym should not take creatine as it will cause more of side effects than benefiting the body.
Stick to basic Creatine Monohydrate as it is cheap and best, apart from being the most effective one and is the best Creatine for weight gain.