In this post we will talk about the top exercises to gain weight. Gaining weight is a natural process and it takes months of consistency to gain weight the healthy way. It is generally seen that people eat whatever they like in order to fulfill their calorie requirement and end up getting fat. This type of approach should not be followed by anyone. The basic idea of healthy weight gain should be:
- Eating 6-8 Small Meals: The first thing you should aim for is eating 6-8 quality meals per day so that your body stays in anabolic or muscle building state. Gone are those days when people used to eat 3 large meals a day. If you want to stay active throughout the day and keep your body in anabolic state be sure that you eat 6-8 small meals a day and never skip a meal.
- Eat Clean Foods: The second most important thing is that you eat less of junk food and more of quality whole foods. Focus on consuming foods like lean chicken, oats, peanut butter, dried fruits, shake and other muscle building foods listed in Top Foods To Gain Weight.
It will be very easy to gain weight by eating all junk food but this will lead to fat gains not muscle gains. Hence try to eat quality foods for 5-6 days a week and keep one day as cheat day when you can eat whatever your body wants.
- Working Out with Compound Exercises: Another important step if you wish to gain weight the healthy way is to make sure that you focus more on compound exercises and less on isolation exercises. Compound exercises will work on more than one muscle and help in releasing Growth Hormone in your body. Aim for 2-3 compound movements in the beginning of a workout and end with 1-2 isolation exercises.
Now that we know the important steps in gaining weight, we will now focus on exercises for weight gain. To gain weight, you need to concentrate more on compound exercises. These exercises work on more than one muscle group and help in releasing Growth Hormone in our body. Thus our main focus will be to target mainly compound movements.
Top Exercises to Gain Weight
- Deadlift: Deadlift is a type of compound exercise which is also known as the king of all exercises.
It primarily works on your lower back but involves most of your muscles like back, hamstrings, forearms and other. You should take help of a certified trainer before starting this exercise as bad form will cause injuries in your back.
Why should you deadlift?
1) For core stability
2) For building a huge back
3) Helps in releasing Human Growth Hormone in Body
4) Works on most of the major muscles
5) Increases grip strength
6) For Gaining Muscle
- Squats: The squat is another full body compound exercise that works on thighs, calves, abs, lower back and arms. It is also known as the king of lower body exercises and can prove to be one of the best exercises to gain weight fast for a reason. Squat is the best exercise for gaining strength and muscle. The following are the reasons to add squats to your workout routine:
1) Builds Muscle
2) Increases Strength
3) Increases Flexibility
4) Increases Growth Hormone release.
5) Enhances Core strength
6) Improves Balance
- Bench Press: Another important compound exercise that works primarily on your chest, shoulders and triceps in the Bench Press. There are variations of chest press like incline chest press, flat chest press and decline chest press which are done at different angles to target different parts of chest. If you wish to gain muscle and get a well developed chest then you need to incorporate this exercise in your workout routine.Reasons to add bench press in routine:
Builds overall mass
Builds overall chest
Increases push strength
Improves upper posture
- Pullups: Also called the King of Back Development, this exercise focuses mainly on lats, middle back and arms. The pulling exercise can be performed anywhere. There are many variations of doing pullup like closed grip pullup, wide grip pull-ups, chin-ups but all work primarily on back and arms. Hence if you want wide lats and strong arms, you should add this exercise to your routine.
- Push-ups: One of the most important exercise to build upper body which is one of the great exercises to gain weight at home. Pushup is a basic exercise that focuses on mainly chest, shoulders and triceps. There are hundreds of variations for chest press and different variations work on chest from different angles. Perform this exercise whenever you train chest and see your chest muscles get big in no time. Here are some of the reasons why you should do pushups:
- Builds strong upper body
- Develops chest muscles
- Increases functional strength
- Increase Human Growth Hormone release in body
- Improves Posture
- Can be performed anywhere without any equipment.
Most of the people are busy with their hectic schedule and do not get time to go to a gym and workout for 1 hour each day. Those people can consider these exercises at home or a gym as it will only take 20-25 min for performing these exercises. These are the main exercises to gain weight and should be added by everyone in their workout routine. Always start your workout with these compound movements and end your session with 1-2 isolation exercises for maximum growth. For suggestions refer to our comment box below.