Do you wish to know the Top Foods to Gain Weight?
If you have been working out for a long time then you must have realized the fact that diet is the most important part of any fitness program. The top foods to gain weight will help you gain healthy weight without gaining unhealthy fats.
People may lift heavy weights, go to gym all seven days a week, sleep for 8-10 hours a day and still not see results just because they are not eating right. As someone said “Lifting is just 30%, rest 70% is your diet”. I totally agree with this statement as what you feed your body with decides how your body will change.
If you run on treadmill for hours and still eat junk food you are probably never going to lose weight. Also if you lift heavy and eat junk food you are likely to gain extra fat not muscle.
Hence my main focus was to make you aware that diet is the main part of any fitness program. If you wish to gain weight you have to eat extra calories but these extra calories should be less from junk food and more from healthy whole foods. We should try eat foods that are calorie dense as well as high in nutrition values. Eat these good foods to gain weight the healthy way.
Top 12 Foods to Gain Weight
These are the foods that make you gain weight:
- Chicken Breast: I personally consider Chicken Breast as the best and cheapest source of protein. In 100g of Chicken Breast you get around 28g of protein which is equal to 1 scoop of protein powder. It is also very cheap as compared to others. Protein is required in both case whether you wish to gain or lose weight. Hence I would suggest you to add 100-150g of Chicken breast to your daily diet. I consider chicken breast as one of the best foods to gain weight.
- Whole Eggs: If you are skinny looking to gain weight then you should not eat just the egg whites but whole egg including yolk. I have personally never removed yolk from my egg while gaining because 1 complete boiled egg would give me around 60 calories. So if I eat 3 whole eggs at as time I would get 180 calories and this is what I require. I suggest if you are looking to gain weight, reduce the number of eggs but eat them whole. For example instead of eating 6 egg whites try to eat 3 whole eggs twice in a day as they are perfect weight gain food. Eggs have also been mentioned as one of the best bulking foods on reference.com.
- Peanut Butter: Peanut butter is another great food to add in your diet and one of the good foods to gain weight. It contains 90 calories per table spoon being ideal candidate for calorie dense foods. Peanut butter can be used in various meals, like you can add it to to your shakes or smoothies, add to whole wheat breads or maybe add it to you post workout shake. It is an ideal food for adding calories to your meal and hence leads to weight gain.
- Oats: Oats too are loaded with calories and most of it coming from coming from carbohydrates. 100grams of cooked oats contain around 360 calories, 66g carbs and around 15g protein making it to the best foods to gain weight. Oats are one of the high calorie foods to gain weight. Oats are most effective when you add them to your breakfast meal as it will give you a boost for the day. I sometimes add raw oats to my shake with bananas, chocolate syrup and peanut butter and blend them to make a thick and creamy home made weight gainer shake.
- Almonds and other nuts: I personally feel that dry fruits are one of the food to gain weight fast as you can keep them in your pockets or small containers so that you can carry them with you. If you do not get time to eat complete meals all the day, you can carry small amounts of cashews, almonds, peanuts and raisins with you and eat them with your protein shake. Dry fruits are great way to increase your calories in a day so they are one of the best food items to gain weight. Dried fruits are the best foods for gaining weight according to Webmd.
- Avocado: Avocados are high in fat and this is the reason why most of the people consider them in their weight gain diets. The fat avocados contain is monounsaturated fat which helps reduce cholesterol in the body. In short, avocados contain healthy fats so you shouldn’t be worrying about adding them to your diet.
- Whole wheat bread: Whole wheat breads are one of my favorite foods to gain weight. Not only are they cheap and easily available but it also takes very less time to prepare them. Just put 4 slices of bread in a toaster and you’re done. Just 4 slices of whole wheat bread will give you around 275 calories. This is the reason why I consider Whole Wheat breads as my favorite weight gain foods.
- Bananas: If I had to rank foods for weight gain, bananas would have been ranked on number 1. They are packed with carbohydrates. 1 medium sized banana contains around 24g of carbohydrates and as I already wrote in another post that carbohydrate is the best macro nutrient for weight gain. So now you know why skinny people eat 6-8 bananas a day right?
- Sweet potatoes: I prefer sweet potatoes over normal potatoes because the protein and carbohydrate values may be same in both but sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A and C which help in growth and development and increases immune system. There is no compulsion between the two as both are useful in weight gain, but if I had a choice I would go for sweet potatoes because of its higher vitamins and minerals value. They are one of the best foods to gain weight.
- Brown Rice: Just 100g of cooked brown rice have around 115 calories ,24g carbohydrate, 3g protein and 1g fat. It is also rich in fiber and can be a superfood if you add it in your diet. They are also rich in manganese and selenium and are low in saturated fat and cholesterol hence a great food item for gaining weight.
- Shakes and Smoothies: Shakes and smoothies are best ways to add calories to your diet. You do not need hours for preparing them, just get a small blender and you are ready to go. Authoritynutrition.com lists protein smoothies as the number one food for gaining healthy weight.
Whenever you get time, just add milk and any fruit like bananas, strawberries or mangoes and mix them in a blender and you are good to go. To increase calories, add hershy’s syrup or any other toppings. I suggest that if you are on a weight gain program, you should drink banana shake twice a day. 1 glass of banana shake would give you around 250 calories. You can add peanut butter, raw oats or syrups to increase the calories.
- Cheese: Even small amount of cheese contains high calories. Add this to your workout only to get maximum for 200-300 calories per day. Eating cheese in excess will cause fat gain which we do not want. Hence eat only a small amount of cheese or add it to your pre made meal just to increase the calories.
These were the top foods to gain weight without gaining excess fat. Always remember the main aim is to eat more than what you burn which can be calculated by Daily Calorie Calculator Here.
Do not just eat anything and everything increase the calories per day. Try to eat as much quality foods as possible and less of processed foods. Have some other foods that helped you gain weight? Help others know by mentioning them in the comment section below.