As most of us are aware that post workout nutrition is the most important meal of the day. When you workout, your body breaks down muscle protein structure and muscle glycogen. After the workout, it needs to repair the muscle tissues and energy and this is where your body craves for nutrients the most. Eating certain foods at this time can help in speeding up the bulking process. We will discuss about the best post workout foods that can help speed up your bulking process.
Firstly, the basics of weight gain remain the same. You have to eat 500-700 more calories than what your body burns in a day. These extra calories should come from whole quality foods which will help you gain healthy weight. Some of the most important meals include your breakfast, pre-workout, post-workout and before bed. At these times, your body needs nutrients the most in order to either regain energy or repair muscle tissues. Hence the best way is to eat a meal high in protein and carbohydrate to promote energy, muscle retention and hormone production.
The nutrients required by body after a workout are:
- Protein: Protein is the required the most after a workout as it helps in muscle recovery and growth. Protein is the building block of muscles. It doesn’t matter where whether your protein comes from eggs, chicken or protein supplement. The best type of protein to be considered after a workout is whey protein. Whey protein is a fast acting protein, which will be digested by body faster after a workout, and this is what we needed. Hence your primary focus after workout should be to go for whey protein.
- Carbohydrates: Considering protein alone after a workout will not help you bulk up. Another important nutrient required by body after a workout is carbohydrate. As we know, after a workout our body is depleted of glycogen and this is where carbohydrates help. You should eat a combination of both simple and complex carbohydrates for a better recovery and energy.
These were the two main nutrients required by the body just after a workout. Now, there are certain foods that are rich in above nutrients which can help and increase the rate at which you gain weight. Incorporating these foods in your post workout meal can show major results in your body.
Best Post Workout Nutrition Foods
- Whey Protein Supplement: Protein as we discussed is the most important nutrient required by the body after a tough workout. Protein aims to recover and regrow muscles that were damaged in a workout. The best protein needed after a workout is whey protein because of its ability to get digested faster than others. Whey protein is a fast acting protein and will get digested by the body faster than others. Whey protein supplements are cheap sources of whey and a single servings gives around 25g of protein helping in better recovery. Whey protein can be taken in both milk and water and will help your body repair muscles damages in the workout. Read more on Whey Protein for Weight gain for complete information on whey protein and 3 best whey proteins.
- Whole Eggs: Eggs are great sources of protein. One large eggs contains 6g of protein and egg whites about 3g. It is better to eat whole eggs if you wish to gain weight as egg yolk is also rich in protein. Instead of eating 6-8 egg whites, reduce the number to 2-3 are eat complete eggs.
- Chicken Rice: Lean chicken or chicken breast is a great source of protein. A serving of 100g will provide 28g of proteins. Apart from protein, chicken is rich in phosphorus, selenium and Vitamin B6. The best meal for post workout would be 1 serving of chicken breast with cooked brown rice. Just 100g of cooked brown rice contain 115 calories and 24g of carbohydrates and are rich in manganese and selenium. This meal of chicken with brown rice will contain both protein and carbohydrates boosting your muscle gaining process.
- Chicken Sandwich: It is another way to add both protein and carbohydrates to your post workout meal. Chicken is high in protein while whole wheat breads are rich in complex carbohydrates. Prepare by adding 1 serving of chicken between 2 bread sliced and add toppings as required. This sandwich will contain around 30g of proteins and 40g of carbohydrates providing both the nutrients required by the body after workout.
- Shakes and Smoothies: A post workout shake or smoothie will be digested faster being a liquid and can be prepared in no time. The benefit of a home made shake is it is high in calorie as you can add whatever you like. A high calorie shake can be prepared by mixing 200ml of milk, 2 scoop peanut butter, 1 scoop raw oats, 2 bananas and chocolate syrup. You could also add whey protein powder, ice creams and other fruits to increase the calories and nutrients in the shake. This shake will contain over 40g of protein and 500 calories, making it an optimal post workout shake.
- Dried Fruits and Nuts: If you do not have time to prepare a full meals, then died fruits can help you. They do not need to be prepared and are high in protein, carbohydrates and other micro nutrients. Try taking a handful of dried fruits and nuts including almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins and walnuts to the gym for immediate access. As they are rich in protein and simple carbs, consuming them just after the workout will help in restoring muscle glycogen levels and energy.
Hence these were some of the best post workout foods to help you recover better after a workout. There can be hundreds of other foods that may also help, the only thing to remember is to consume enough protein and carbohydrates just after the workout. Post workout nutrition is the most important part of your diet, pay close attention to it for maximum benefits.For queries and suggestions use the comment box below.