Being one of the top nutrition supplement brands in the world, Optimum Nutrition has been ruling the fitness industry for years. For regular workout-holics, Optimum Nutrition has been their go-to brand for every supplement need. Serious Mass, which is their prime mass gainer supplement, has been their ambassador for quite a time now, and it is here to stay. In this article, I’ll share Optimum Nutrition’s Serious Mass review, which would cover everything from its effectiveness to value for money.
Before we specifically talk about Serious Mass, one thing that you should know is that Optimum Nutrition has been in the fitness industry since 1986. Considering that you’ve bought the product from a genuine source (I’ll discuss the best stores to buy ON products later), you’re guaranteed to receive a product that has un-matched quality standards and excellent customer satisfaction. Since this company produces a variety of products including Whey Protein, Creatine and Glutamine, you can always count on them for quality.
Coming over to the product of the day, Serious Mass is an extremely high-calorie weight gaining supplement from Optimum Nutrition. Loaded with over a thousand calories in each serving, this supplement should already be there in your stack if you’re looking to gain weight.
Before I review Serious Mass weight gainer in detail, you should know the reason for taking a specific supplement. In this case, a mass or weight gainer supplement is to be used in conjunction with a high-calorie diet in order to keep your body in a calorie surplus. Solely depending on products like Serious Mass will not be giving off the results you desire. Hence, before starting out any supplement, know how you can utilize its full potential by using them with a high quality whole foods diet.
Product Overview – Serious Mass Nutrition Facts
Before coming over to the Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass review, let’s take an overview of this product.
To be specific, Serious Mass contains 1,250 calories per serving, and the powder is instantized to make it easier for you to consume it on the go. This isn’t just a mass gainer supplement; it’s a bag full of calories!
When considering a nutrition supplement, quality should always be the first thing you look for. With Serious Mass, you’re in the right directing of taking this quality as the priority. Apart from being loaded with calories, the product is rich in macro-nutrients namely; Protein, Carbohydrates and Fats. This perfect balance of macro-nutrients and monstrous amount of calories make this product an ideal choice for hard-gainers!
- Protein: Also known as the building block of muscle, Protein is the first nutrient that comes to mind when we talk about gaining weight or building muscle. Protein helps repair muscles, which in turn grow stronger and better. Serious Mass contains a whopping 50 grams of protein per serving. This should ideally be 20-40% of total protein intake, in just one serving. Looking for a supplement that helps you gain weight and meet your protein requirement? Serious Mass is your best bet!
- Carbohydrates: When you’re goal is to build muscle or put on healthy weight, carbohydrates should be considered as your friends. Keeping a check on your carbohydrates is important, but it equally important to focus on getting the right amount.
The optimum amount of carbohydrates will make sure that your glycogen levels are ready to power your workouts, and your body always feels energized for day-to-day activities. On an average, half of your calories in a day should come from carbohydrates. This does not mean that you feed on pizzas and burgers all day. The focus should be on high quality complex carbohydrates like whole wheat breads, cereals and vegetables. Serious Mass contains a massive 252 grams of carbohydrates per serving. Considering this amount, this would make it a perfect product to balance your diet with all the three macro-nutrients.
- Fats: While needed in a relatively low quantity, healthy fats should definitely be a part of your diet. Serious Mass weight gainer contains just 4.5 grams of fats, so it is important that you consider adding healthy fats through whole foods in your diet. Some examples of foods that are rich in fats are whole eggs, salmon, tuna and sardines. Fats would not make you fat, the extra calories would. Hence, make sure you keep this in check.
Why Serious Mass Weight Gainer?
Researching about a specific supplement before trying is important, since not all supplements are effective and help you achieve your goals. For instance, pre-workout supplements are intended to give you a boost in your workouts and help keep you focused. Using a pre-workout supplement as a calorie replacement would be waste, and will not give you results.
Serious Mass, among other supplements, is intended to give you a calorie boost. For hard-gainers, it might become difficult to maintain a calorie surplus every day. For others, consuming enough calories throughout the day along with a hectic schedule may sound tiresome or not feasible. This is exactly where mass gainers come into play.
Mass Gainers, as the name suggests, help you put on mass by providing you the extra calories you need in a day to remain in a calorie surplus. See how I mentioned “extra calories”? This implies that you should be getting most of your calories from calorie dense foods that are rich in nutrients. Top it up through the extra calories derived with Serious Mass, and you’re good to go.
How does Serious Mass compare with other mass gainers? Here’s the answer: Best Mass Gainers Around the World
Serious Mass Review
Here are my personal Serious Mass reviews:
If you refer to any of the lists on the internet for the best mass gainers, you’re bound to see Serious Mass always making it to the top five. This is because of the reputation that Optimum Nutrition holds in the market of nutrition supplements, along with the quality of ingredients present in this specific product. The combination of 50g protein, 250g carbohydrates and 24 vitamins and minerals make it a perfect quality mass gainer for those who’re serious about putting on weight.
Also included in the servings are creatine and glutamine, which further makes sure that you push your limit while in the gym, and recover better and faster.
If you’re purchasing Serious Mass gainer from a genuine retailer, the quality is something that will be at par, and in fact, better than most of the weight gainers out there.
Quality Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Serious Mass comes in the following flavors:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Cookies & Cream
I’ve personally tried their Chocolate and Vanilla flavors, and chocolate would definitely stand out among the two. Looking at reviews of other bloggers and users, Chocolate Peanut Butter seems to be another great flavor of Serious Mass.
Though the chocolate flavor tasted good, the combination of Serious Mass Chocolate flavor and milk might turn out to be a heavy meal, and hence it is important that you thoroughly prepare your diet plan according to this.
Final verdict for serious mass flavors review? Serious Mass has some delicious flavors, though it forms a thick shake that might make these flavors make Serious Mass a great option for adding it to Shakes and Smoothies. This way, you can add other food items like Oats, Peanut Butter and Vanilla Ice Cream to further increase the calories in your home-made weight gainer shake.
Unfortunately, if you’re looking for an unflavored option, this product may not be suitable for you.
Taste Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️
While I personally prefer using a blender for mixing my whey protein or mass gainer shake, you could also use a shaker. Using a blender makes it easy to mix protein powders with other ingredients like Oats and Peanut Butter, and makes it easy to mix Serious Mass with milk and yogurt.
However, mixing Serious Mass weight gainer with fluids in a shaker cup is inconvenient, and you may still be left with lumps after continuous shaking. The serving size which is 2 scoops makes it hard to mix with water or milk, and may take a lot of time to dissolve in a way that it becomes drinkable. Since it’s a high calorie weight gainer, it is expected to be like this. Hence, try using a blender if you’re taking the mentioned serving size for Serious Mass.
Mixability Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Price/Value for Money
This particular _______ is where mass gainers do not compete well with Whey Proteins. For the same price, mass gainers offer much lesser servings as compared to whey protein supplement.
A 12lb tub of Serious Mass would cost you somewhere around $55. While the price seems fair for the weight, there are only 16 servings available in one 12lb pack. For hard-gainers with a budget constraint, Serious Mass may not be the best option. In this case, a home-made weight gainer might do the trick for you. Here’s an article to help you prepare your own weight gainer shake using whey protein.
Compared to other weight gainers, Serious Mass comes with a pretty decent price tag, and it would be difficult to find a good quality product from a genuine company in this price. If you’re comparing options, you’d find some great alternatives to Serious Mass at the end.
Price Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This is where Serious Mass leads the pack of weight gainers. Being a high calorie weight gainers, the quality and ratio in which the nutrients are available makes it a perfect choice for hard-gainers looking to put on healthy weight.
My personal serious mass results: I’ve tried many mass gainers in the past, but Serious Mass remains on the top due to its effectiveness. The first time I took Serious Mass along with a 5-day heavy workout schedule, I was able to gain almost 8 pounds in a month. While this progress may vary for individuals, keep your workout in check and get adequate rest and you’re bound to see some great results. Make sure you tell us your before and after progress in the comments section below!
Effectiveness Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Benefits of Taking Serious Mass
- Calorie Replacement: For hard-gainers and people with a low appetite, consuming over 2500 calories a day might not be feasible. Serious Mass can prove to be a great replacement here, where you can carry it in a shaker on the go. The calories from Serious Mass gainer contain high protein and carbohydrates, thus helping you gain muscle and avoiding excessive fat.
- High Protein Content: An average person working out in the gym needs between 1.2-2 grams of protein per kilogram of their bodyweight. A single serving of Serious Mass contains about 50 grams of protein, which makes it a perfect source of protein to be added in the nutrition plan. Using Serious Mass gainer as a post workout drink is highly advisable.
- Contains Creatine and Glutamine: Both creatine and glutamine are essential supplements. Creatine causes water retention in your body and helps you push your limits in the gym; while glutamine helps your body recover faster from the intense workout. Since Serious Mass already contains both Creatine and Glutamine, you would not require them in the form of additional supplements.
- Helps Gain Weight: Finally, the only intended purpose of this product is to help you put on healthy weight. Considering you’re actively involved in a physical activity like working out in the gym and keep a check on your nutrition, Serious Mass results will definitely include gaining healthy weight.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Does Serious Mass Work?
Any fitness goal, be it muscle building or losing weight, does not entirely depend on a single food item or supplement. If a specific product advertises itself as solely helping you achieve a fitness goal, don’t go for it. Achieving a fitness goal involves keeping a check on your overall caloric needs, workout schedules, rest timings and many other factors. For instance, simply taking a weight loss capsule would not make you lose weight, you will still have to work out and maintain a calorie deficit.
Same way, in order to gain healthy weight, a single supplement cannot be credited for the whole process. Conclusion? Serious Mass weight gainer alone isn’t going to help you put on weight. While the product itself contains 1,250 calories per serving, you would still need to focus on calorie dense foods in order to reach the requirement.
Hence, Serious Mass is indeed one of the finest weight gainers available in the market, but you will still have to focus on your diet and workout first in order to reap the benefits. Use this product in conjunction with a high quality weight gain diet and a high intensity muscle building program and you’re on the right path.
How to Use Serious Mass for Maximum Gains
Depending upon your caloric needs and daily schedule, there are different ways to include Serious Mass in your diet, as well as different methods to prepare a calorie dense shakes. Here are some of the best times to consume Mass Gainer:
- First meal in the morning: When you wake up, your body craves for nutrition, especially protein. Consuming a mass gainer supplement like Serious Mass makes sure that you’ve given your body ample of calories rich in protein and carbohydrates, which would in turn keep you energized throughout the day.
- Post Workout: After an intense workout, you’re glycogen levels go down and your muscles need protein immediately. This is the best time to consume mass gainer, where you’d be helping your muscles repair and recover from the workout. This way, you’ll make sure that your muscles are getting enough protein in order for them to grow.
- Before Sleep: Keeping at least 1-2 hours gap between your last meal and sleep, consuming Serious Mass gainer before bed is a good idea to make sure that your body has enough protein and helps you recover throughout the night. Your body releases various hormones and helps your muscle recover from the workout, which is the best time to use up the protein content from the mass gainer.
Serious Mass Side Effects:
There may not be any serious side effects of nutrition supplements, given that you are a healthy person with no history of kidney/liver diseases. Even then, this serious mass review does not list all possible side effects, and it is best to consult a doctor before taking up a new diet plan or starting with a supplement.
As discussed throughout the article, Serious Mass is intended to help you reach your calorie needs by providing high calorie count. Since this product is intended for weight gain, it is not to be used for any other purpose. If you’re not looking at gaining fat apart from muscle, this product may not be your best bet.
Some other Serious Mass side effects may include:
- Excessive weight gain
- Muscle Cramps
- Stomach Pain
If any of the above symptoms occur, discontinue use and consult with a doctor immediately.
The results and effects of Serious Mass vary depending on the person’s medical health, activity levels and overall body composition. It is best to first try in small quantities and then gradually increase the serving size.
Where to Buy
Depending on your geographic locations, there may be online stores or offline retail stores from where you can get affordable yet genuine Optimum Nutrition products. While this serious mass review has every information you need, here’s a list of the things you should keep in check while purchasing nutrition supplements:
- Optimum Nutrition products have either a black, silver, or clear plastic neck bands without holograms on all their products.
- On the bottom or side of Serious Mass gainer, you will find ink jet printing of expiry date, manufacture date and a batch code. The code can be used to check authenticity through the following link: https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en-us/authentic
For more information on authenticity of Optimum Nutrition products, or to make sure that you’ve received a genuine product, use the contact form here: https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en-us/contact-us
Here are some of the genuine distributors of Optimum Nutrition products:
2) Empire Health
4) Bright Commodities
5) Nutrition Asia Group Pte Ltd
While there may be other genuine retailers and international distributors of Optimum Nutrition products, it is advisable to check before purchasing. Here’s a list of International Distributors for Optimum Nutrition: https://www.optimumnutrition.com/en-us/international-distributors
Repeating the same words in every article that I write, it is important before starting any supplement that you focus on your nutrition from high quality foods first. You may get the body you desire through foods alone, but you can never achieve it with just supplements. Always make sure that you reach most of your caloric goals through muscle building foods, and then fill in the gaps using supplements.
Serious Mass weight gainer has a perfect formula to help you put on weight once your diet and workout is on point. It makes it to the list of best mass gainers because of its high quality ingredients and perfect macro-nutrient ratio. The price indeed makes it an expensive product, but this is the case with almost every mass gainer in the market.
Now that you’ve gone through the complete Serious Mass review, it is now time to take your fitness goals to the next level. Make sure to consult your doctor before starting this supplement, and discontinue use if you observe any side effects. The overflowing calories, protein and carbohydrates in Serious Mass are sure to give you the desired results.
Looking to compare mass gainer vs whey protein? We’ve done the work for you: Mass Gainer vs Whey Protein: A Hardgainer’s choice
Liked this serious mass review? Let us know your personal Serious Mass results and progress in the comment section below!