Mass Gainer is a heavy shake, and it’s easy to be concerned about the digestive effect of 1000+ calories rapidly absorbing into your body.
So today we’re answering the question, ‘is it okay to drink mass gainer before bed’, and some of your other big questions about late night mass gainer use!
Can I Drink Mass Gainer Before Bed?
Yes – it’s okay to drink mass gainer before bed, but you may want to give yourself an appropriate amount of time to ensure you’re not experiencing digestive issues. It’s a product that feels seriously heavy in your gut.
Your response to mass gainer before bed is also very personal, so it’s important to try it and see how you respond. There’s a ‘sweet spot’ for everyone, with late night mass gainer timings.
There are a few things you really need to consider
- Calories: bigger shakes are more disruptive and can be worse for sleep
- Carbs: more carbs mean worse sleep, as compared protein and fat
- Protein type: casein is better for sleep than whey, and milk protein is in the middle
These make it all a little simpler; smaller, slower-digesting mass gainers are typically the best way to use mass gainer in the evening.
As ever, this should be balanced by using your mass gainer in servings that make sense for your digestive comfort. For example, a 1200-calorie shake should be split into 2, 600-calorie shakes, and that is even more important if you’re looking for a pre-bed mass gainer.
How To Take Mass Gainer Before Bed?
The best way to take a mass gainer before bed is to use it at least 60-90 minutes before bed. You should take a reasonable serving and use plenty of fluids to support hydration and prevent cramping or digestive distress.
While this isn’t enough time for complete digestion, it does two important things:
- It reduces the digestive stress as your stomach is clear and the digestion/absorption process is already underway
- It actually starts cuing your brain for sleep as you enter the ‘rest and digest’ state, improving your sleep quality, and beating some common problems (like latency or fragmentation)
This means you should take some time to think about it and plan your mass gainer use. It’s great, but you should consider your use.
This is even more true with a casein or blended protein source in your mass gainer, which is great for digestion and sleep support.
Can Mass Gainer Cause Insomnia?
It’s easy to lose sleep if you’re painfully bloated, so you need to make sure you’re taking the right amount of mass gainer.
You should also check your mass gainer use during the day to make sure you don’t have a bad response.
What is the best time to take mass gainer?
The best time to take mass gainer is after a workout – where it offers the best results, the healthiest use of high-carb mass gainers, and less possibility for side effects.
You can also split a full-serving mass gainer into 2 uses, which is best for post—workout and later in the evening. As mentioned before, this means better results, good sleep quality, and maximum results without big, thick shakes overwhelming your gut.
You Might Like:
- Should You Drink Mass Gainer On Rest Days?
- How Many Servings of Mass Gainer Per Day?
- Does Mass Gainer Make You Sleepy?
- How Often to Drink Protein Shakes to Gain Weight?
- Does Mass Gainer Make You Constipated?
Rohan Arora is a Certified Personal Trainer and Sports Nutritionist and has been actively involved in sports and fitness for over 8 years. He now leads the team of fitness specialists and personal trainers who help people around the world with personalized workout and nutrition plans, along with providing the right information on sports supplements.