Are you tired of being a hard gainer? Wish to know how to gain weight with high metabolism?
It is very difficult to put on even a pound if you have a high metabolism. It feels that all the meals you eat are all going waste. Your friends are jealous of you eating so much and not gaining any weight, but you do not feel any good about it. I have experienced all of the above in my school, when I used to be just 44kgs and being 5’9 that was too low. In order to gain weight I would eat burgers all day so as to get some extra calories, I would workout for 2 hours straight just hoping that I would gain weight but nothing seemed to help. It is very difficult for people having high metabolism to gain weight easily.
Hence I made this article for people who wish to gain weight but have high metabolism. Yes you will have certain difficulties in the beginning as you will not see results very soon, but as you keep consistent for weeks or even months you will start to notice changes in your body. As I mentioned earlier, gaining weight is a natural process and it takes time as well as efforts, you won’t see results overnight. You have to stay motivated and consistent with both your diet as well as workouts to see the desired results.
How to gain weight with high metabolism
- Eat more calories than your body burns: The first step if you wish to gain weight is to keep track of everything. You need to keep track of how many calories you eat in a day. If you just try to eat whatever you want without actually calculating the total calories you consumed in a day then probability is you will be directed in the wrong direction. You need to see your daily calorie intake so that you know if you fulfilled your calories for that day or not. Start by making a progress report by writing all the food items you consumed on a particular day and at last calculate the total calories you got from those. Check if the calories met your requirement or not. With this you can get to know if you’re going in the right direction or not. Here’s how I calculate my total calories for the day.
- Eat more of clean calorie dense foods: Try to focus more on calorie dense items like peanut butter, chicken, red meat, bananas, cheese, milk and other products. These foods will help you gain weight faster as they contain large amount of calories. Also the best way to increase the calories is to consume shakes and smoothies. The easiest of all is to mix 1 glass milk, 2 spoon peanut butter, 2 spoon raw oats and hershey’s syrup in a blender. This shake contains almost 400 calories. Consuming even 2 shakes a day will give you almost 800 calories. Hence focus more on calorie dense foods to gain weight faster.
- Train with heavy compound movements: This is an important point to follow if you are hard-gainer with high metabolism. Exercises like bicep curls dumbbell fly’s would not help you gain weight faster. Instead work on compound movements which involve more than one muscle and help in releasing more growth hormone in the body. These exercises are best if you need to get big. I have listed the exercises you should focus on in the post Top exercises to gain weight.
Start your workout with 2 heavy compound exercises followed by 2-3 isolation exercises.
- Get Adequate Sleep: This is where most people go wrong. Lifting heavy and eating high quality food is not enough. You have to give time to your muscles to repair. Most of us think that our body grows in gym, but this is not the case. Our body grows during sleep, when our body is constantly working on repairing the muscle tissues and making them stronger than before. Hence do not compromise on your sleep. Turn off all the gadgets 1-2 hours before sleep, and try to drink warm milk before bed for a quality sleep.
- Try supplementing with mass gainers: If you are not able to consume enough calories due to any reason, try to use mass gainers. Mass gainers are loaded with calories as well as protein and carbohydrates. The main purpose of mass gainer is to provide extra calories to people who cannot eat enough calories in a day. I would suggest people who do not get time to eat quality meals frequently or want some extra calories in a day to go for mass gainers.
Hence these were the tips on how to gain weight with high metabolism. Being born with high metabolism in not a curse, but it’s a advantage for you as you can stay lean always just by eating quality foods and working out.