Being born with high metabolism has its own pros and cons. You can gain lean muscle without gaining fat but at the same time you may find it difficult to gain even a pound. Whatever you eat seems waste as your body remains same and doesn’t grow even by consuming a large amount of calories. In this article we will discuss how to gain weight with a fast metabolism.
If you are born with a fast metabolism, you are luckier than most of the people. People with fast metabolism may not gain weight easily, but they are always protected from diseases and long term health disorders which obese people face. In fact, hard-gainers may find it difficult to gain weight easily, but with right knowledge it becomes easy and there is not much restrictions on diet if you are on bulking phase. Well balanced healthy meals, heavy workouts, right supplements and adequate sleep is all what is needed to gain weight.
Firstly, gaining weight is a natural body process and it takes time for body to change. You should never expect results overnight, instead put in all your efforts in maintaining a high nutritional diet, working out with high intensity avoid Some Common Mistakes to get the most out of your fitness program. The basics of weight gain are simple, you have to eat more calories than what your body burns in a day. But it is easier said than done. Eating more calories does not allow you to eat anything and everything just to fulfill your calorie needs. You have to focus first on quality that is eat more of whole quality foods which are high in nutritional profiles and then focus on quantity. The best approach is to increase 100 calories in each meal making it to a total of 500-700 extra calories a day.
How to Gain Weight with a Fast Metabolism
- Track your calories: The most basic and important step for gaining weight is to track your calories. Tracking your calorie intake means that you have a report of exact calories you consumed in a day. This will give you a direction as to how you are working and will help you get to the right track. Start by making a diet chart and writing down every food item you eat in a notebook and the total calories and macro-nutrient information besides it. At the end of the day, you can use this information to check whether you were able to meet your calorie requirement or not. This report can help you in giving an insight as how you are working, and if not than what changes are to be made. You can also use calorie tracker apps on your mobile which will automatically detect the number of calories in a particular food item.
- Eat Frequently: Another important step in gaining healthy weight for people with high metabolism is to eat every 2-3 hours. Eating small meals frequently can help your body in digesting the food better and faster. Apart from this, your body also enters into an anabolic state where your body constantly works to build muscle tissues to maintain a healthy state.If you skip meals or do not eat within 3-4 hours period your body gets into catabolic state causing muscle breakdown. Catabolic state is caused due to excess training and inadequate nutrition causing unwanted effects like fatigue and muscle pain.
Gone are those days when people used to rely on 3 meals a day. If you have entered into a fitness program, you have to eat 6-8 meals a day in both gaining or losing weight. In each meal, increase the number of calories helping you to gain healthy weight.
- Focus on Whole Foods: If you wish to gain healthy weight despite having a high metabolism, you have to eat more of whole quality foods that are high in protein and carbohydrates. Processing removes most of the nutrients in the foods and most of them have preservatives in them. Eating processed foods regularly can cause various long term gastrointestinal disorders. Instead focus on foods that are high in calories as well as nutrition like lean chicken, oats, whole wheat breads, brown rice. Read Top Foods for Weight Gain to know about all the top foods that help in gaining weight.
Start by preparing a diet chart that contains foods listed above. The total calories derived from these foods should be more than what your body burns in a day. You should also include liquid calories in your diet to speed up the weight gain process.
- Workout with compound movements: Most of the beginners go wrong here. Instead of focusing on isolation exercises like bicep curls and dumbbell flies, you should be working out with more of compound exercises deadlift, squats and bench press. Compound exercises involve more than one muscle at a time and are great way to increase the Growth Hormone secretion in the body. Compound exercises will involve more than one muscle at a time helping the body in releasing more Growth Hormone, helping you gain weight faster. Start your workout with 2-3 heavy compound movements followed by 1-2 isolation exercises to get the maximum benefit. Here is a list of Top Exercises that will help you gain weight and get big faster.
- Consider the right supplements: The most commonly asked question by beginners is whether supplements are necessary or not. The answer simply is supplements are not necessary to build a solid physique, but they are used as most of the people do not get access to quality meals throughout the day. Supplements are called so because they can never replace whole foods. You should use supplements only if you have a healthy well balanced diet. Also it is necessary to know which supplements should be considered for a particular fitness program as there are hundreds of supplements available in the market. I have written an article on Supplements for Weight Gain. Supplements will be of no use if you do not have a well prepared diet. Hence my advice is to focus first on your diet, and then go for supplements to fill in the gaps.
- Get Quality Sleep: The last and one of the most important step in gaining healthy weight is to get quality sleep everyday. You should never compromise on your sleep as it is the time when your body repairs the muscle tissues that were damaged during the workout. Also 70% of the Growth Hormone is released during sleep, another reason why you should get atleast 8 hours of sleep everyday.
Hence these were the ways on how to gain weight with a fast metabolism. If you were born with a high metabolism, you have certain advantages over others. Make the most out of your genetics and work for a physique that you can be proud of. For suggestions and questions use our comment box below.