Weight training is one of the key components of overall fitness. It is the easiest, fastest, and the most effective way to control weight, gain strength, build muscle, reduce injury risks and most importantly, achieve an admirable physique.
Unfortunately, many men assume it is one of the hardest workouts compared to aerobics and the rest. The truth is, it is all a myth. Muscle building can be easy or hard depending on how you do it. It also depends on your eating habit, discipline and most importantly, the weight program you choose to follow.
In this article, I’ve prepared for you a weight training program that will help you gain weight and build muscle healthily in less than a month. But before that, here are mistakes you must avoid.
Mistakes to avoid when building muscle
1. Not varying your workouts
Sticking to one workout can be boring, and that is the last thing you need here. The exercises I’m going to mention here targets a variety of muscles in your body. So, it is vital that you vary them to achieve better results.
2. Not eating well
You can’t build muscle or gain weight without eating well. If you are trying to build muscle for the first time, it is vital that you start eating healthy, especially if you are skinny.
3. Not measuring your muscle gain
The only thing that will keep that motivation burning is knowing that your muscle is growing bigger and stronger. Measure your progress.
4. Not having support
You don’t just start lifting weights and expect to build muscle or gain weight in a few weeks. You need someone to guide you on how to do it properly.
5. Buying the wrong muscle building machine
Not all fitness equipment you buy will help you. So, do your research. This article will focus on how to build muscle and gain weight healthily so that we will need the best adjustable dumbbells on the market.
How to choose the best adjustable dumbbells
* Space-friendly features – Go for dumbbells that come with a rack or small.
* Warranty offer – Go for the best warranty offer for professional maintenance
With that in mind, here is a weight training program that will help you gain up to 10 pounds of muscle in less than a month.
Weekly program – You must include these three workouts to build muscle and gain weight in your weekly program
1. Bent over Row – 4 times a week
Bent over row is one of the most effective workouts for building your back muscle. Aim for three sets of 10 repetitions and a rest of 45 seconds in between the sets
How to do
* Ensure the bar is on the floor with your feet hip width apart in the middle of the weights.
* Lower your body until your torso is approximately 45 degrees to the ground.
* With your shoulders arched, squeeze the blades of your shoulders together
* Raise the weight towards your belly. Aim for the reps and sets mentioned above.
2. Barbell bench press – 3 times a week
Barbell bench press allows you to build your chest muscles easily. It also focusses on the largest muscles on your upper body including your shoulders. Aim for three sets of 8 reps three times a week.
What to do
* Lie on your back on a bench with the bar on a rack in front of you.
* Take the bar off the rack and gently lower it towards your chest.
* Hold for a second, contract your chest muscles and then push the weight up.
* Lower it back slowly and then repeat the procedure.
3. Dumbbell bicep curls five times a week
How to do
* Grab two dumbbells on each hand and then stand straight
* Ensure your elbows are near your torso and rotate your palms towards the floor.
* Raise the dumbbells towards your shoulder until your biceps are contracted completely.
* Lower them back to a starting position and then repeat.
Other weight training workouts to include in your weekly program
* Reverse crunch for your core muscles – Aim for three sets of 20 reps 3 to four times a week
* Dumbbell steps up for your leg muscles – Aim for three sets of 8 reps 3 to 4 times a week.
* Standing calf raises for your calf muscles
Summary of your weekly routine
* The first week – Barbell press bent over row, reverse crunch
* The second week – Bent over row, dumbbell bicep curls, dumbbell step up
* Third and fourth week – Barbell press bent over row, dumbbell bicep curls, standing calf raises.
The final words
If you are doing weight training for the first time, start slow and then build on as you go. Make sure you have a spotter around when lifting heavy weights to prevent injuries and lastly, vary the workouts above to avoid boredom.
Hi there! Sarah G. Ramirez is my name, and welcome to CyanFitness. Here in CyanFitness, I share with you, my expertise on keeping fit and staying healthy. My tips, advice, and programs are not meant to replace medical advice but assist and guide you to live a long and healthy lifestyle.