If you are looking to gain weight or build lean muscle, a mass gainer can provide the macronutrients and calories needed to maintain the surplus. In this article, I review the best mass gainer along with the other top mass gainer supplements around the world.
The best mass gainer is not the one with the highest calories, or protein for that matter, but a great combination of macro nutrients with additions of easy mix-ability, justified price and high quality ingredients. This article is going to be an extensive list of some of the best mass gainers that you can invest in for your body.
Disclaimer: All the reviews for mass gainers including price, effectiveness, mixing and effectiveness are based on my results with the products, along with other people’s collective reviews. Make sure to go through the Mass Gainer Buying Guide below before making a decision.
The Best Mass Gainers Ranked
There are several factors that should be considered while deciding the best mass gainer, including the price, its effectiveness, and the taste. Here is the list top mass gainer based on several criteria:
Even though I’ve tried tens of mass gainers in the past, no one can match the quality and affordability of Transparent Labs. It’s a great tasting mass gainer that is both effective and delicious at the same time.
ProteinSeries Mass Gainer loads around 53 grams of protein per serving, and lists you all the ingredients that the gainer has, without hiding anything. This makes it one of the best lean mass gainers I’ve taken in during my bulking phase.
The mass gainer has everything you need to gain lean muscle mass or bulk, including 53 grams of protein, 109 grams of carbohydrates and over 750 calories in each serving.
- Purest and Most Effective Muscle Building Formula
- 53 Grams of Protein
- 109 Grams of Carobohydrates
- 9 Grams of Fats
- No artificial sweeteners, food dyes, or harmful additives
- Premium mass gainer, costlier than most of it’s competitors
- Doesn’t have the brand reputation as other big brands
Why Choose Transparent Labs Over Other Mass Gainers?
While I’ve always been a fan of Optimum Nutrition products, I wanted to try something new, since it has been a long time taking ON supplements. There is no denying that Optimum Nutrition’s products, including Serious Mass and Gold Standard Whey Protein are legendary, and are pioneers in their respective fields.
However, my decision to move to a new brand came from primarily the price factor, and the craving for a new product and flavor. ProteinSeries proved to be a good option here.
The price is not very affordable and a bit high, but this hasn’t impacted the effectiveness in any way. Plus the fact that the company is transparent with their products, and doesn’t hide any of its ingredients makes it more trust-able for me.
- Taste 9/10: I have only tried the chocolate flavor. The taste is perfect, and adding peanut butter and cookies to the shake, it gives me a thick, delicious smoothie-like beverage. I generally take mass gainers twice a day during bulking, in breakfast and post workout.
- Effectiveness 10/10: This is where Transparent Labs beats all. Genuinely, all supplements are somewhat similar, only being different in their ingredients and servings. If you’re looking to gain weight, you need to be consuming a calorie surplus. Hence, how much weight you gain will depend largely on your activity levels and how much calories you consume.
- Pricing 10/10: Another factor why I’d like to stick with Transparent Labs is the pricing. The product affordable as compared to most of the mass gainers in the market, considering the effectiveness.
- Mixing 9/10: Mixing might not seem that important, but when you try mixing a mass gainer in your shaker without the blender, you’d know the pain. ProteinSeries Mass Gainer has been performing pretty well in the mixing ability, but I do not consider it to be that important while buying mass gainers.
Final Thought: If you are a beginner looking for your first mass gainer to put on weight and lean muscle, look no further. For those who’ve used mass gainers in the past and are looking for new options, this one is a must!
Optimum Nutrition is undoubtedly one of the best fitness supplement brand out there. If you have been working out for a long time, there’s absolutely high chances that you’ve either heard about Serious Mass weight gainer, or other products form this brand.
The company assures:
- 50g of protein per serving of 334g
- Enhanced with 25 essential vitamins and minerals
- For explosive muscle growth
Serious Mass gainer is one of the finest products that I’ve used and was also the first product I used for gaining weight. Serious Mass indeed raises the bar in the market because of its finest quality ingredients, high calorie and macro-nutrient ratio and affordable prices.
Along with mass gainer supplements, there are various other factors that play a role in how much weight you gain in a particular time frame. Make sure you’re having these weight gain foods into your diet and keep your muscle building workout in check to keep the gains coming!
Serious Mass Review:
- Taste 8/10: I tried its chocolate flavor and found it to be the best one among all.
- Effectiveness 9/10: This is one of the best weight builders I’ve tried, and has always been effective in helping me put on healthy weight.
- Pricing 8/10: A 12lb bag of Serious Mass would cost around $45 which can fit in your budget easily.
- Mixing 7/10: The only issue I had with serious mass was the servings were huge making it difficult to mix. I had to mix for a long time in shaker to get it mixed completely.
If you’re a skinny guy who finds it difficult to gain weight, Serious Mass should already be there in your supplement stack.
I have written complete article on Optimum Nutrition’s Serious Mass review which covers all the topics like how to take it, its side effects and others.
For those looking for my personal preference between Serious Mass and other mass gainer supplements, here’s a list:
ProteinSeries Mass Gainer vs Serious Mass – My Choice: ProteinSeries
Serious Mass vs Pro Gainer – My Choice: Pro Gainer
Dymatize Mass Gainer vs Serious Mass – My Choice: Serious Mass
Russian Bear 5000 vs Serious Mass – My Choice: Serious Mass
Muscle Juice vs Serious Mass – My Choice: Serious Mass
Universal Gain Fast vs Serious Mass – My Choice: Serious Mass
Serious Mass vs Mass Tech – My Choice: Mass Tech
Overall Best Mass Gainer- ProteinSeries Mass Gainer
As I mentioned, there are multiple reasons why I prefer one mass gainer over the other. The best way to check out is to experiment with different products, and then stick to one that works the best for your body. Don’t forget to check the allergy information for each product before starting out.
3. BSN True Mass:
BSN is another leading company in sports and nutrition with high quality products like Syntha 6, N.O. Explode and True Mass.
BSN True Mass is an Ultra-Premium Mass Gainer and a single serving of it contains 700 calories, 50g protein and 90g of carbohydrates.
The company assures:
- Helps building lean body mass
- Provides calorie support while working out
- Supplies energy to body
- Increases muscle size and strength
My reviews of BSN True Mass:
- Taste 9/10: I have only tried its Strawberry milkshake flavor and found it to be amazing. This is the only flavor has the maximum reviews and is the best one among all the flavors.
- Effectiveness 8/10: If you’re looking to put on muscle mass in a short period of time, BSN True Mass would be your best call. This one works the best for me while I look for putting quality muscle in minimum time.
- Pricing 6/10: The only reason for not going with BSN True Mass 1200 again was the fact the its not that friendly on pocket. A 5.82lb pack of True mass will cost you somewhere around $40 which is too costly for a supplement. If it fits your budget, try this and I assure you it will be the best investment for your money.
- Mixing 7/10: True mass too had a mixing issue as it takes more time to mix it in a shaker than normal.
If I had to rank True Mass in the list, I’d place True Mass on third.
4. Muscletech Mass Tech:
Muscletech’s products are often considered to be pricey and more on the expensive side, however if you’re looking for quality, there cannot be a better deal than this. Some of their leading products include Nitrotech, Masstech and Celltech, which are all considered to be of high quality and most effective in their respective ares.
Talking about Masstech, the company describes it as an advanced muscle mass gainer designed for individuals having tough time adding size in their bulking phase or want to break through their plateaus. The product works great if you’re looking to pack on quality muscle and are looking for something high in quality.
The company assures:
- 80g of protein when consumed with 2 cups of milk
- 1170 calories with high quality protein and quickly digested carbohydrates.
- 13g BCAA’s
My Reviews For Muscletech Masstech:
- Taste 7/10: I tried its Vanilla flavor and it was just fine to drink. I wouldn’t recommend Vanilla flavor if you’re looking for a delight for your taste buds.
- Effectiveness 9/10: The product has to be effective as it is a product of Muscletech and is made from the best quality ingredients. This product is intended towards lean muscle gain. If you’re halfway through your journey and looking at a quality product that helps you pack on quality muscle, Mass tech is your best best.
- Pricing 8/10: A 7lb pack costs somewhere around $45. Considering the quality and effectiveness they offer in this product, the price is completely justified.
- Mixing 8/10: It has a great mixing ability. Try to mix it in milk in a shaker and you’ll see a thick creamy shake within seconds.
It’s in the name! Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex is designed for gym pros who believe in hardcore training and muscle building. It delivers rich protein content after a heavy workout. With a low sugar count, and a formula which is easy on the body, this concoction provides the perfect mix for those who want to add muscle while complementing a balanced and healthy diet.
Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex renders a huge calorific boost after workout sessions and can also be taken between meals.
Protein: 52 grams
Carbohydrates: 87 grams
Fats: 5 grams
Overall Score: 90%
Real Gains, being a top mass gainer, does not compromise with quality and uses the highest quality of whey proteins, complex carbohydrates and fats . With very low sugar content, real gains stays true to its name, and delivers what the body requires. Real Gains avoids carbohydrates derived from Fructose which is of inferior quality.
Instead, it sticks to Inulin, which has high fiber contents that aids digestion and absorption of calories. After a quick glance over the amino acid profile of this gainer, it is easy to understand why Real Gains is the first choice for many athletes and sport professionals.
Protein: 52 grams
Carbohydrates: 87 grams
Fats: 5 grams
Overall Score: 88%
The brand name speaks for itself. Ronnie Coleman’s King Mass crunches 60 grams of proteins, 180 grams of carbohydrates, and over a thousand calories in one single serving! It is indeed the king of mass gainers. Tastes great too! Amazing weight gainer for men!
Protein: 30 grams
Carbohydrates: 89 grams
Fats: 3 grams
Overall Score: 88%
“Love your body because you only have one”. It is our duty to look after our body and our responsibility to know what enters it. Naked Mass Natural contains only three constituents; Naked Whey, Naked Casein and Organic Maltodextrin, and the latter comes from gluten free sources.
This gainer treats your body well and also helps gain mass the way you want it. It maintains optimum levels of proteins and carbohydrates in the body and it is best to take them between meals or before bed.
Protein: 50 grams
Carbohydrates: 252 grams
Fats: 2.5 gram
Overall Score: 86%
Proteins derived from beef are the first choice for many world class athletes and professionals. MuscleMeds’ ultra mass gainer contains 350% times the concentration of protein in a slab of steak. Along with this, the proteins are isolated from actual beef and hydrolyzed to finish a perfect product. It results in fast muscle gain and body weight. This is one of the best weight gainer that you can choose for your weight gain goals. Here are some details about this product:
Protein: 50 grams
Carbohydrates: 125 grams
Fats: 2 grams
Overall Score: 86%
10. Clean Gainer:
It is simple. To gain weight, you must consume more than you burn. Clean Gainer by Rivalus helps you do just that. It packs an amazing combination of proteins, carbohydrates from 8 different sources and essential fats.
Clean Gainer is one of the top mass gainers with high Octane formula (over 560 calories) that turns you into a winner! It is favored by sport persons as it contains zero banned substances and is absolutely safe to take. It can be taken before competitions without any fear whatsoever.
Protein: 30 grams
Carbohydrates: 90 grams
Fats: 7 grams
Overall Score: 84%
Some people struggle with their ‘skinny genes’ which translates technically to naturally fast metabolism in the body. Dymatize Nutrition Super Mass Gainer helps aspiring bodybuilders achieve their goals.
It has a great taste and mixes well with water. It packs 52 grams of proteins and also has fibers for easy intake and digestion. A first choice for many.
Protein: 52 grams
Carbohydrates: 246 grams
Fats: 9 grams
Overall Score: 82%
Labrada Muscle Mass Gainer is fortified by years of research and experimentation. It available in strawberry flavour and two package sizes of 6lb and 12lb. It holds a delivery mark of 1290 calories per serving and 52 grams of proteins per serving. Along with this, it holds essentials vitamins and minerals like Iodine, Phosphorus, Zinc, and Magnesium.
Protein: 52 grams
Carbohydrates: 254 grams
Fats: 4.5 grams
Overall Score: 82%
Working hard to reach the desired mass but struggling to do so? CytoSport Cyto Gainer is designed to add the required nutrients to your body after a sweaty workout. Available in five different flavours ranging from banana creme to cookies and chips, it is easy to take and combines great taste with essential nutrients.
It contains ingredients that come from milk and soy, so lactose intolerant individuals are advised to refrain from using it.
Protein: 27 grams
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Fats: 2.5 grams
Overall Score: 80%
This advanced formula satiates your protein need for 8 hours. The sustained release algorithm delivers quick, moderate, and slow emancipation of amino acids.
It is available in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry flavors, and packs an enormous 1000 calories and 47 grams of proteins per helping. It is gluten free, and has a nice taste. It can be consumed before and after workouts as well as before bedtime.
Protein: 47 grams
Carbohydrates: 188 grams
Fats: 7 grams
Overall Score: 80%
15. Less Naked Mass:
This formula is a high concentration of carbohydrates and proteins that help build mass as well as maintain it (that’s the hard part right?). It can be taken before and between meals, after and before workouts, although it is best to take it before bedtime, as the stomach churns and process the nutrients when the muscles are resting. Maltodextrin used in Less Naked Mass comes from gluten free sources and is totally healthy. The entire formula contains only three ingredients, whey, casein, and maltodextrin. Many consider Less Naked Mass as the best supplement for weight gain.
Protein: 50 grams
Carbohydrates: 251 grams
Fats: 15 grams
Overall Score: 80%
Other Mass Gainers to Consider
Some other recognizable mass gainers include:
- Nature’s Best Isopure Mass: Easy to drink, and easy to absorb making it a perfect muscle mass gainer.
- CytoSport Monster Milk: Can be taken before bed as the body digests it during sleep, so that you wake up more energetic, and ready for a new workout session.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Series Iron Mass: One major selling point of the Iron Mass is that it contains zero maltodextrin, which is responsible for huge sugar spikes in the blood.
- Combat XL Mass Gainer: Injects 50 grams of proteins and a whooping 1270 calories per serving.
- MHP Up Your Mass: Contains digestive enzymes, prebiotics, and fibers that ease the process of digestion.
- Mutant Mass: Contains a myriad of supplementary minerals and vitamins to complement the huge doses of carbs and proteins.
- Universal Gain Fast.
In order to gain weight or muscle, take note of the following points:
- No single product can be credited as a muscle building/fat loss product, no matter how effective it’s label is. Its always a combination of good diet, great workout and adequate rest that contributed to muscle building/fat loss.
- Continuing with the above statement, it is very important for you to first focus on a healthy diet before starting with supplements. There may be a possibility that you’re able to fulfill your nutrition goals with whole foods only, eliminating the need of any other supplement. Once your lay down the basics for your nutrition and are unable to meet the requirements due to any reason, its time to consider taking supplements.
- Along with a quality diet and right supplements, it is important to workout with the right intensity and techniques. Study more on Progressive Overload, Mind-Muscle Connection and other Importance of Compound Movements to get the most out of your workouts.
- Drink plenty of water and get adequate sleep to help your body recover from the training.
Comparison: Pro Gainer vs Serious Mass
Serious Mass gainer has an extensive formula that delivers high amount of calories and is a great choice for hard-gainers and skinny guys to gain weight and build muscle. Since the product is high in calories, it is more geared towards skinny guys who do not mind gaining some fat along with the muscle. Serious Mass gainer is also a great option for those who wish to go into Bulking and Cutting phase, extra fat is bound to come with the extra calories.
Pro Gainer, on the other hand, has limited calories, a higher protein content per serving, is more suitable for hard-gainers and people looking to gain lean muscle, and care about gaining mostly muscle. The Pro gainer has a perfect protein to carb ratio, and has a better mixing capability. It is one of the best lean mass gainer, and is perfect for those who do not look for gaining unnecessary weight.
|Product||Serious Mass||Pro Gainer|
Comparison: Serious Mass vs Masstech
As mentioned previously, Serious Mass is the best weight gain powder for those looking to gain weight and do not necessarily care about gaining muscle or fat. Even though the gainer is high in protein, it has a high amount of calories and carbs to make it an overall effective mass gainer.
Muscletech Masstech has around 80g of protein, and 1170 calories per serving, coming from high quality protein and fast digested carbohydrates. It’s scientifically advanced formula helps hard-gainers build lean muscle and increase overall size. The product also has creatine and essential vitamins and minerals, to make it a perfect lean mass gainer.
|Product||Serious Mass||Muscletech Masstech|
Comparison: Dymatize Mass Gainer vs Serious Mass
Comparing both the supplement, Serious Mass is a better overall weight gainer supplement for skinny guys looking to gain weight, while Dymatize doesn’t taste as good but is still a highly effective mass gainer. In order to decide between the two, here’s a comparison between each supplement’s ingredients:
|Product||Serious Mass||Dymatize Gainer|
Mass Gainer Buying Guide
What to Look For in Mass Gainers
When choosing the best mass gainer for your muscle building goals, you need to consider a number of factors. While most mass gainers aim to deliver the same results, there are a few differences that can largely impact your goals. Here are some of the factors to consider while choosing the best weight gainer for men and women:
One of the most important and deciding factors before purchasing a weight gainer should be it’s price, your budget and the value that the mass gainer provides. Does the mass gainer provide enough high-quality ingredients to suffice for the price? Would you rather spend that money on diet, or does investing in a mass gainer makes more sense?
Before you make a purchase, decide on the budget that you are going to set aside for supplements. If you are starting with a lower budget, I highly recommend spending most of it on diet first. Then, look for quality mass gainers that fit in your budget and provide the right value for that price. The review of best weight gain powders above should help you with that.
Servings Per Container
Many mass gainers will claim to have enormous amount of calories per scoop, but will likely finish up within days of starting it. It is important to read the Supplements Facts for the mass gainers before you make a purchase. This will enable you to decide how much the product is going to last, and how fast you will be able to see the results.
In the end, you do not want to set aside a budget for a month, only to realize that the mass gainer only lasted for 10 days. Make sure to read the nutrition label!
Often sidelined, the protein-carbohydrates-fats content in a high calorie weight gainer is more important than the calories delivered. This is because when you invest in a mass gainer supplement, you need to ensure it helps you gain as much lean muscle as possible, and avoid unnecessary fat.
While the diet you consume along with the supplements in important, the macronutrient profile for the mass gainer can also make the difference. Make sure to prefer a gainer that has higher protein content and relatively lower simple sugars and fats. The reviews of top mass gainers above should be a good starting point.
While this is not a deal breaker, the number of calories delivered is also a good way to compare mass gainers. If other factors such as price, macronutrients and servings for two mass gainers are the same, choose the one that delivers more calories.
Since your final goal while building muscle or gaining weight is to consume extra calories in the day, calories delivered by the mass gainer is another aspect that you should be looking into.
I’m not a big fan of always buying from the big brands, but when it comes to food or supplements, especially a high calorie weight gainer, these are the products you are going to consume and they are going to affect your body. Not just for mass gainers, but do a quick check for brand reputation for any dietary supplement that you are going to buy in the future.
Research more, look at brand’s social media profiles, and gather information about the brand before finally making the decision. Last, also ensure that you buy from the company’s website itself, or from a genuine reseller. There have been thousands of cases of fake supplements being sold, and you don’t want to be part of one.
Advice: If you’re on a tight budget, or need to make sure you only gain lean muscle and eliminate unnecessary fat gains, checkout these articles below:
How to Use Whey Protein to Gain Weight
Mass Gainer vs Whey Protein: The Battle of Supplements
Do Mass Gainers Work?
Mass Gainers provides the macronutrients and calories needed for you to maintain a caloric surplus. However, you would still have to focus on a high quality diet and a sound workout plan to see optimum results.
Depending entirely on mass gainers without affecting other parts of your lifestyle is only going to make you gain weight in the form of unnecessary fat.
Recommended: Best Programs to Gain Weight
Who Should Take Mass Gainers
Here’s who should be considering adding mass gainers to their diet plan, based on our mass gainer reviews:
- People with high metabolism who find it difficult to put on weight or muscle.
- People who do not get time to take proper meals or whole foods throughout the day.
- Hard-gainers who wish to gain weight and add extra calories to their meals.
- People looking to gain muscle and failing to fill the gaps between their nutrition.
How to Use a Mass Gainer
While there is not definite guide to this, there could be several ways you can use the best mass gainer for your body. Depending on your fitness goals and the amount of calories you’re looking to, along with the macro-nutrients requirements, you can get creative and look for ways to use a weight gainer to your benefit. Here are some of the example:
- Mixing 1 serving with plain water and ice
- Mixing it with milk and ice
- Mixing it with milk fruits like strawberries and bananas for a thick smoothie
- Mixing it with milk, peanut butter and oats in a blender
Hence depending on your goals, you could make different variations in a day.
How to Choose the Right Mass Gainer
Choosing the best mass gainer supplement involves knowing your body and your goals first. When I first started working out and using mass builders, I chose one solely based on price and calories which seems to be the criteria for most skinny guys out there.
Keeping price aside for a moment, “macronutrients and calories” should be the second things most of us should look for in a mass gainer which is justified since we’re looking to have additional calories in our diet.
What we do not notice is its not just calories that help us gain healthy weight, but a balance of right macro-nutrients(protein, carbohydrates and fats). They just go hand in hand. If you’re just focusing on gulping down as much calories as you can and do not look at the macro-nutrients, chances are you would be gaining unhealthy weight, which is basically just fat.
On the other hand, if you solely focus on reaching the macro-nutrient goals and do not calculate the overall calories you need, you’d not be reaching the optimum muscle growth potential that your body can achieve. Hence before choosing the best mass gainer protein, here are some of the questions you should ask yourself:
- Why do I need a mass builder?
- What exactly is my body type?
- What exactly are my fitness goals, and what type of body I’m looking to achieve?
- How much time do I have for my transformation?
- Should I take mass builder solely because of the extra calories, or there are other alternatives?
Once you’ve answered all of the above questions, it’s now time to checkout the list and choose the best mass gainer for your body.
Not sure if mass gainer is the right supplement for you? Answer these simple questions and find out the best supplement for your fitness goal:
Mass Gainer Side Effects
Before starting any supplement, it is advisable to consult a doctor. Different products contain different ingredients and not all of them work for your body.
Next, make sure that you do not have any allergies before starting a mass gainer, or any other supplement for that matter. Even if you do, make sure that the product that you’re using does not contain any ingredient that can be harmful for your body.
While most dietary supplements do not have side effects, you may feel some minor adverse effects. If you notice any of the below symptoms, stop consumption immediately and consult a doctor:
- Fatigueless/ Tiredness
Where to Buy These Supplements?
Before purchasing any health or nutrition supplements, make sure that the source you’re buying from is genuine. There are a variety of stores around the world, nutrition store websites and fitness outlets where you can get these supplements. However, always make sure that the products are authentic by either going through the mass gainer reviews of previous customers, or learning more about the source.
Advice: Amazon.com has official sellers for most of the brands. Click more to check it out:
Frequently Asked Questions
The Bottom Line
Now that you’ve reviewed the best mass gainer for building muscle in 2021, it’s time to take action. The best way to use this list is to first prepare a diet plan for your fitness goals and then find gaps in the plan that needs to be filled.
Once you’ve considered most of your calories from whole foods, its time to fill in the gaps using these mass gainer supplements. Quality nutrition, great workout and adequate sleep are the three parts of successful fitness routine. Still have questions? Get in touch!
Still not sure about using mass gainer or whey protein? Checkout these articles for a detailed comparison on supplements:
The Best Way to Use Whey Protein for Weight Gain
Mass Gainers vs Whey Protein: Here’s the Winner